Autobeaming in 3/8 time

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Autobeaming in 3/8 time
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:53:56 -0400

Lily (version 2.10.20 on Ubuntu Linux) seems to have an odd default
for the autobeaming in 3/8 time.  When there's a dotted 8th note
followed by three 16th notes, it seems to me that the default behavior
should be to beam the three 16ths together with a double beam.  In
other words, what I want is for all the notes to be beamed together,
with a single beam between the dotted eighth and the first sixteenth,
and a double beam connecting the three sixteenth notes.

What Lily's doing  is beaming the dotted eighth to the first sixteenth
note with a beam that has two bars on the right and one on the left,
a single beam between the first and second sixteenth notes, and a
double beam between the second and third sixteenth notes.

I have worked around this problem with the following code:

    es8. [
\set stemLeftBeamCount = #1
\set stemRightBeamCount = #2
c16
\set stemLeftBeamCount = #2
es g ]

Is there a more automated way to fix the problem in general?  I've
always found the documentation about the automatic beaming behavior
somewhat cryptic.  And if someone can figure out the way to automate
this case, can it become the default without breaking the rest of the
automatic beaming for 3/8 time, which is fine?

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139