piano centered dynamics colliding with barline

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: piano centered dynamics colliding with barline
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:33:02 -0400

Hi all,
New to Lilypond and so far quite enjoying myself!

I notice that the dynamics in the Piano Centered Dynamics template are aligned too far left, giving rise to collision with barlines when they appear on the first note of a measure.    Is it because they aren't attached to actual notes?  The code shows the incorrect alignments of the Piano Centered Dynamics and then the "proper" alignments when dynamics are attached to "real" notes.

I can adjust the horizontal offsets in the DynamicText override (0.7 appears to be the perfect correction), but then the dynamic collides with the hairpin.  Obviously I can't adjust the hairpin, or I get hairpins running into other kinds of trouble at the other end.

Any fixes for this problem?

Thanks!

Neil

CODE BELOW

upper = \relative {

    \time 4/4 a'4 b c d e f g a a g f e d c b a
a4\p\< b c d e\mf\> f g a a\pp g f e d c b a

 }

lower = \relative {
\clef bass
a2 b c d d c b a
a2 b c d d c b a
    }

dynamics = {
s1\p\< s1\mf\> s1\pp
     }

\score {
\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff = "upper" \upper
\new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
\new Staff = "lower" <<
\clef bass
\lower

\layout {
\context {
\type "Engraver_group"
\name Dynamics
\alias Voice
\consists "Output_property_engraver"

\consists "Script_engraver"
\consists "Dynamic_engraver"
\consists "Text_engraver"

\override TextScript #'font-size = #2
\override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
\override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
\override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

\consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"

\consists "Axis_group_engraver" }

\context {
\PianoStaff
\accepts Dynamics
\override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7 }}}