Re: problems with afterGrace

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: problems with afterGrace
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 18:55:39 +0300

John Mandereau wrote:
Le jeudi 17 mai 2007 à 16:42 +0300, Till Rettig a écrit :

this is my minimal example:

\version "2.11.23"
\relative c'' { c1 {

Why do you use a brace after c1?  It is more confusing than useful.

Yes, you are right, i wanted to create a single music _expression_, thought this would bring the setting to work...

\set afterGraceFraction = #(cons 2 4)

afterGraceFraction is not listed in the Tunable context properties
(Program reference), and the manual doesn't tell you to use \set.  Why
not try to set afterGraceFraction as a variable, like showLastLength for
example?  It's better to set it not at toplevel, so you should use this
syntax:

#(define afterGraceFraction '(1 . 2))

where you can also use (cons 1 2) instead of '(1 . 2)

I didn't yet read anything deeper about scheme, you have to see me as the average user (or maybe the straight reader) who
has read from the beginning of the whole documentation throughout this chapter. Should we include a special chapter about syntax of tweaks (the question about to which layer they can belong and with what syntax they have to be defined)? This is somehow very shortly mentioned in chapter 5, but not really clear: I would think about something like the differences between \override, \set, \tweak and then those scheme syntax examples. This might be a introduction to the Notation reference part. Unfortunately I don't know the differences myself, so I cannot really help here. i am aware that chapter 12 gives a very deep view into the matter, but what about just something very practical for the start?

Thanks for the help, this part is now much more clearer to me.

Greetings
Till