Help with spacing spanner, i.e., horizontal spacing between notes

From: peterwinson
Subject: Help with spacing spanner, i.e., horizontal spacing between notes
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:27:35 -0700 (PDT)

I have read the horizontal spacing section in the manual and have tried to
replicated the code in my own ly file but \override SpacingSpanner
#'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4) doesn't seem to work.

Here is what I want to do.  The music is composed mostly of 1/8 notes.  So
if I make the base-shortest-duration to be 1/4 note then the spacing between
the notes would be shorter. Right?

However, no matter what I make base-shortest-duration to be, nothing
changes.  HELP!

Here is the code

http://www.nabble.com/file/p11803568/matins1_a.ly matins1_a.ly