Double-flats used by Lilypond after transpose

From: Jon
Subject: Double-flats used by Lilypond after transpose
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:20:53 +0000 (UTC)

Hi there guys,

I've been writing out a part for B-flat sax. I've written out the music in
concert pitch and so am using \transpose to display it in the right key for the
B-flat sax. The part I'm writing is in E-major when in concert pitch, so this
becomes G-flat-major when transposed for the B-flat instrument.

The problem I'm having is that Lilypond is choosing to use double flats for a
number of particular notes when it prints out the B-flat part. For example, if
I write a G or an F in the concert part (which is in E-major) these get written
out as B-doubleflat and A-doubleflat respectively, in the B-flat instrument
part, instead of as A-natural and G-natural, which would be easier to read in
my opinion.

Is there a way to get around this problem - maybe to stop Lilypond from using
doubleflats? Annoyingly, if I re-write my G as F-doublesharp it gets printed
out as an A-natural when transposed - but I don't want to have to write my g as
fss all the time as that will make working out what i've written a whole lot
harder!

Below is some code which should cause this problem for you too!

Besides this I would just like to say: great work - I'm really impressed with
Lilypond. Thanks! Jon

\include "english.ly"

sopranosax = \relative c'' {
  \set Staff.instrumentName = "Soprano Sax"
  \clef treble
  \key e \major
  \time 4/4

  g4 f4
}

\score {
  \new Staff = "Soprano sax" { \transpose e gf \sopranosax}

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score