Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:26:45 +0200

2007/8/10, Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:
> Hi Valentin,

Hi Neil, I'd never expect that so much people would read my mail :)

> I've been messing around with RehearsalMark, and this seems to produce the
> kind of output you're after:

> Unfortunately it's pretty much useless, since it will only print out 4/4,
> whatever the time signature. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of
> LilyPond's internals can point to a solution for this?

Not only does it print 4/4, but it also requires that you specify
\mark \default whenever you change the time signature (maybe this
could be solved with a simple Scheme function though). What would be
really cool is if the Marks were automatically added whenever the
time_fraction changes.

I've been looking (more like staring for hours) at
time-signature-engraver.cc, trying to understand how the grob is
created, but this is waaay beyond my current knowledges.

The only workaround I can imagine would be to use Scheme to override
the \time command, and maybe print the results of
ly:moment-main-denominator and ly:moment-main-numerator to get a
"fake" time signature, but then again I haven't got -yet- the
necessary skills to achieve this.

> If it is possible, however, there's another problem if you're using frenched
> staves - you'd have to move both the Mark_engraver and
> Staff_collecting_engraver to the Staff context, which will conflict with
> \RemoveEmptyStaffContext.

Noted, thank you.

Regards,
Valentin