Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 20:17:57 +1000

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 18:12, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I'm trying to rewrite the LSR TimeSig snippet (and probably use it in
> my own score):
>
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=272
>
> The two modifications I want to add are: remove the
> Time_signature_engraver instead of using #'transparent, AND get the
> time signatures aligned with the barlines without having to use
> empirical extra-offset.
>
> This time, I finally got the point about the updated
> break-align-symbols syntax, so I'm using it. But...
>
> ...it doesn't work either :(
>
> So, what is wrong??

The problem is that 'break-align-symbols is a property in
break-alignable-interface (this information can be found in the backend
documentation, which is admittedly a little obscure). Therefore,
setting 'break-align-symbols will only have an effect on grobs that use this
interface (only RehearsalMark and BarNumber). This is because the mechanism
for determining the horizontal position of a TimeSignature is completely
different to the mechanism for determining the position of a RehearsalMark.

Off the top of my head, I would suggest writing a scheme function where
something like

\timeSig #'(3 . 4)

will emit

\time 3/4
\mark "3/4"

so that you are dealing with RehearsalMarks, which can then be aligned however
you want.

Joe