Re: << \\ >> constructs and things that cross measures

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: << \\ >> constructs and things that cross measures
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:18:31 -0400

Hi Ed:

These voices are all separate from the voice that contains the notes just outside the << \\ >> construct. This should be noted when making changes at the voice level. This also means that slurs and ties cannot go into or out
   of a << \\ >> construct.

That's because of the \\ only -- that creates two new Voice contexts, each different from the main one that existed before the <<>>.

What you *can* do is

    a b c\< d << { a b\! c d } \new Voice { g g g g } >>

and things will behave as desired -- the first {} is a continuation of the main Voice context, and only the \new {} is different/new. See "Instantiating new voices" in the docs for more info.

Do I need to make the << {} \\ {} >> sections "wider" to cover multiple
measures, and take out my bar checks for those measures?

That would also work, but you don't have to remove the bar checks.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.