Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: How to deal with Time Signatures horizontal alignment?
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:02:22 +0200

2007/8/26, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:

> This is the point; the time signatures should be aligned with the
> barlines, *unless* they're at the beginning of the line (then they
> have to be put after the clef).
>
> This is because in such orchestral scores, the time signature is
> printed above the 1st flute staff, above the 1st Horn staff and above
> the 1st Violins staff (in other words, above each main instrument
> groups). Since there is no barline between those staves, the
> TimeSignature can be aligned with the barlines, *but* since the first
> barline of each system is always printed, then the TimeSignature has
> to be moved after the Clef.

OK, so just to sum up the situation: I now have TimeSignatures aligned
with barlines, which is fine for the topmost TimeSig, but not for the
"internals" ones between each StaffGroup (since, when occuring at the
beginning of a system, they collide with the left barline).

Not being able to move *only* those TimeSignatures, here's what I'll
do to prevent such collisions: I'll simply kill them :)
for the topmost TimeSig, I just specify
  \override TimeSignature #'break-visibility = #end-of-line-invisible
and for the smallest ones inside the systems;
  \override TimeSignature #'break-visibility = ##(#f #t #f)
It sort of works, so I guess this thread is now closed.

Many thanks to you guys, particularly Kieren, Neil, Joe, and last but
not least, Han-Wen "God" Nienhuys :)

Cheers,
Valentin