Re: Tip: lyrics with polyphony / stem directions (without specifically i

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Tip: lyrics with polyphony / stem directions (without specifically instantiated voices)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:42:39 -0700

Mark Dewey wrote:
I think the \upper and \lower thing in the documentation is syntactically confusing, without specifically saying they represent the notes there,

I would recommend either replacing these with notes directly, or showing their instantiation above the example (and explaining the significance of the voice names "1" and "2"; plus, a mention of when/why it is good to leave them out would be nice—maybe it's already mentioned somewhere else, and if so, perhaps I might recommend pointing us there from here).
Let me preface my remarks by stating that the tutorial has been completely rewritten in 2.11; if you haven't seen the 2.11 docs, you'll have missed this.

See 2.5.4 Organizing pieces with identifiers. We can't explain all the material in the tutorial throughout the rest of the manual; chapter 3 and onwards (especially chapter 6 and up!) assumes that you are familiar with the material in chapter 2.

Where to look for what, in the documentation generally, is also an issue at times. I might recommend giving us some tips on how to find things (generally speaking), and how to glean information, as it seems to be easier for you.
1.6 is a bit out of date, but it's still a good start. I'll update that later tonight. 2.5.6 How to read the manual doesn't discuss where to find things, although such material could be added there.

I'm not certain it's worth adding stuff to 2.5.6, though. If people don't notice 1.6, then...
All in all, though, I didn't mean to bring up the documentation, myself. It normally works well for me in connection with the forums—lately, at least. I understand if you don't want to put this in the documentation (that's fine with me)—after all, it is on the forums now in a way people who think like me could find it.
People don't search the mailist archives. In addition, if everybody has to ask stuff here, we have to explain everything all the time.

That's the reason I started working on the docs: I was answering the same questions again and again. I decided that I would never answer a question directly (with anything other than a polite RTFM); instead, I would spend
that time improving the docs so that the next person didn't have to ask.

Cheers,
- Graham