Re: alternatives and bars problem

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: alternatives and bars problem
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:29:08 +0200

Quoting Joe Mc Cool <address@hidden>:

Newbie, sorry.

Version 2.11.33

In the final part of this tune, the 1st alternative prints fine, but
the second one has the bars all screwed up.  The first g4, is on a bar
of its own !
Please see the end of section "Repeat syntax" in the manual for version
2.11 (it applies also to 2.10). There are actually different alternatives on where to place the \partial, which result in different bar numberings. The only solution
I could find that gives correct bar numbers is

       \alternative {
         {
           g4 e8[ e g e]                                %\bar "|"
           b e g b a g                                        %\bar "|"
           fis e d \times 2/3 {fis8 g8 a8} fis                %\bar "|"
            \partial 8*5 g e e e4                              %\bar "|"
         }

         { ...

but then the automatic beaming of the last bar of the first ending
is wrong. An alternative is        \alternative {
         {
           g4 e8[ e g e]                                %\bar "|"
           b e g b a g                                        %\bar "|"
           fis e d \times 2/3 {fis8 g8 a8} fis                %\bar "|"
           g e e e4  \partial 8*0                             %\bar "|"
         }

         {...
but then the bar numbering gets confused. Maybe you can play with some more alternatives and come up with something that works even
better. There is already a bug report on this problems, see
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=355&q=repeat

How can I stop bar numbers being printed for the partial bars ?

Also when I use timidity to play the midi file, it ignores all the repeats. I just plays the tune straight through.

Please read the section on Repeats and MIDI in the manual.

Also, I noticed the following line in your code:
\include "version.ly"
If that file just contains a "\version ..." statement, then you are
fooling yourself, since the syntax conversion utility doesn't understand about \include so it will not figure out what the
current version is, which means that the \version statement is just
useless. You have to explicitly include it into every file of yours
in order for it to be useful.

  /Mats