Re: GDP: Rhythms rewrite

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: GDP: Rhythms rewrite
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 14:40:43 +0200

On 7 Oct 2007, at 01:13, Graham Percival wrote:

I've identified the following areas to work on; please add items or discuss them.

As for the section 6.6, the "Harvard Concise Dictionary of Music" calls it "expression marks", which includes tempo and dynamic marks, legato, staccato, bowing, articulation phrasing, use of piano pedals, etc.

But ornaments seem not be included in this classification. The article "ornaments" [loc.cit.] mentions them as various embellishments by additions or variations of rhythms, melody or harmony.

Not a big point, perhaps, but it may make a difference when searching, and the musical treatment is somewhat different, also notationally. Pitched ornaments may require various embellishments (accidentals and grace notes), and the sections on these might be expanded.

For example, I am wrestling with the addition of accidentals to pitched ornaments (\trill, etc.), and following the manual, I have added the macros:
  above = { \once \override Script #'script-priority = #-100 }
  below = { \once \override TextScript #'script-priority = #-100 }
Even with these, the addition of accidentals is somewhat cumbersome.

An idea that comes to my mind would if say the "{...}" could works as environments also in the markups. The idea is that writing
  fis{\trill^\flat}
\flat work work in the environment created by \trill, that is markup, and then "^" would be given local meaning as a super-positioning to the \trill symbol rather than to the note fis. Then the different accidentals could be added easily in a very compact notation. For example
  fis{\turn^sharp_\flat}
would be a turn with a sharp above and a flat below.

The section might be renamed to say: "Expression marks and ornamentation".

  Hans Ã…berg