Cross-staff chords

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Cross-staff chords
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:03:41 +0200

For the musicxml2ly application, I'm looking into how to convert cross-staff
chords in PianoStaves (i.e. chords that have some notes in the upper and some
in the lower staff). The documentation talks about these in

However, this approach is not possible for me in musicxml2ly (apart from the
fact, that I think that this is a terribly hackish workaround, but no proper
way), because I'm already inside a voice and can't easily created another
voice. The other issues I have with that workaround are that
 - the stem length is not known at all (sometimes 20 might be required,
sometimes only 10 and 20 would look awkward), so i can't automate this
 - The no-flag does not work at all for beamed chords

I'm attaching a sample which displays these problems.

In short, as this is no option for me, is there any other / better way to
split a chord upon two staves and produce the result as shown in the attached
file 14c-StaffChange-Finale-Ref.pdf (created in Finale)?

email: address@hidden,
 * Financial and Actuarial Mathematics, TU Wien,
 * K Desktop Environment,, KOrganizer maintainer
 * Chorvereinigung "Jung-Wien",