Re: Cross-staff chords

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Cross-staff chords
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:05:40 -0500

On 10/29/07, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2007 schrieb Trevor Bača:
> > Unfortunately, I know of no better way to create cross-staff chords
> > than the documentation you point to in the manual.
> >
> > I'm just finishing a score with cross-staff chords, so I know what
> > you're going through.
>
> Yes, it's particularly bad, as one of the "official" sample files for
> MusicXML, as provided at http://recordare.com/xml/samples.html (Faure's Après
> un rêve: http://recordare.com/xml/samples/FaurReveSample.pdf) uses
> cross-staff chords heavily.
>
> It's really unfortunate that lilypond does not support them, as these sample
> files are usually the benchmark to measure perceived ability to import
> MusicXML files... The current result is basically just missing the
> cross-staff chords, everything else if converted just fine:
> http://reinhold.kainhofer.com/temp/MusicXML_Recordare_Samples/lily-0a010e732c.png
>
> > If any of the developers are looking for a
> > sponsored project, I would be happy to help sponsor this improvement
> > at some point in the future.
>
> I would also welcome cross-staff chords in Lilypond!

Agreed. I've cced -devel.

Note: if we do solicit developer interest in cross-staff chords, let
us PLEASE ensure that the chords will work across *any* (adjacent)
staves and not (for example) just within piano staves; there are
plenty of 20th- and 21st-century scores with cross-staff chords
stemmed all the way through five or more string staves, for example

[In fact, I can imagine cross-staff chords running through
*nonadjacent* staves (flutes + bassoons stemmed together ... crossing
over the other winds), though no examples come to mind. Generalizing
to nonadjacent staves should capture the usual case in piano music,
the modernist case of full sections, and everything else besides.]

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden