Re: Spanning bar lines in mensural notation

From: erminia
Subject: Re: Spanning bar lines in mensural notation
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:08:21 -0800 (PST)

Using StaffGroup was already a first step, thank you.

Now I am still worried about lyrics clashing with bar lines as in the
following example:

\version "2.11.32"

global = {
        \set Score.skipBars = ##t
        \key c\major
        \time 2/2
        \override NoteHead #'style = #'neomensural
        \override Voice.Rest #'style = #'neomensural
        \override Score.BarLine #'transparent = ##t
                }

cantusNotes =
                        \relative c'' {
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "Cantus"
                        \clef "petrucci-c1"
                        g1 fis2 g a4 e g1 fis2 g1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        e2 a1 gis2 a b c1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        }

cantusLyrics = \lyricmode {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
                        I Lift mine eyes to Si -- on Hill,
                        from whence I doe at -- tend,
                        }

altusNotes =
                        \relative c' {
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "Altus"
                        \clef "petrucci-c3"
                        d1 d2 d e2. d4 d2. c4 b1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        r2 e2 e e2. fis4 g2 g1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        }

altusLyrics = \lyricmode {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
                        I Lift mine eyes to Si -- on Hill,
                        from whence I doe at -- tend,
                        }

tenorNotes =
                        \relative c'{
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "Tenor"
                        \clef "petrucci-c4"
                        g1 a2 g c b a a g1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        c1 c2 b c d e1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        }

tenorLyrics = \lyricmode {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
                        I Lift mine eyes to Si -- on Hill,
                        from whence I doe at -- tend,
                        }

bassusNotes =
                        \relative c {
                        \set Staff.instrumentName = "Bassus"
                        \clef "petrucci-f4"
                        g1 d'2 b a g d' d g,1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        a1 e'2 e a g c,1
                        \once \override Staff.BarLine #'transparent = ##f
                        \bar "|"
                        }

bassusLyrics = \lyricmode {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
                        I Lift mine eyes to Si -- on Hill,
                        from whence I doe at -- tend,
                        }

\score {
        \new StaffGroup = choirStaff    <<
                \new Voice = "cantusNotes" << \global \cantusNotes >>
                \new Lyrics = "cantusLyrics" \lyricsto cantusNotes
{\cantusLyrics}
                \new Voice = "altusNotes" << \global \altusNotes >>
                \new Lyrics = "altusLyrics" \lyricsto altusNotes {\altusLyrics}
                \new Voice = "tenorNotes" << \global \tenorNotes >>
                \new Lyrics = "tenorLyrics" \lyricsto tenorNotes {\tenorLyrics}
                \new Voice = "bassusNotes" << \global \bassusNotes >>
                \new Lyrics = "bassusLyrics" \lyricsto bassusNotes
{\bassusLyrics}

\layout {
        \context { \Score \consists "Span_bar_engraver"}

The same problem arose when I substituted "StaffGroup" with "ChoirStaff",
and it is obviously even worse in pieces with Breve bars instead of Verse
bars. Where am I wrong?

erminia