Re:Your Friendly Neighborhood LSR

From: Palmer, Ralph
Subject: Re:Your Friendly Neighborhood LSR
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:30:00 -0500

Greetings -

Does code ever work in one version, then not work in a subsequent
version, then work again in an even later version? I can see where it
might, at least at the x.x.xx level. If that's the case, snippets could
end up with multiple version lines.

Ralph
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ralph Palmer, CEM
Energy/Administrative Coordinator
Keene State College
Keene, NH 03435-2502
Phone: 603-358-2230
Cell: 603-209-2903
Fax: 603-358-2456
address@hidden

Valentin Villenave skrev:

>     --> First rule of LSR is: do not add a \version line.
>     --> Second rule of LSR is: do NOT add a \version line.

What is the reason for this?
The version line might be good information to have - at least in a
comment. If a snippet stops behaving correctly, the original author of
the snippet is gone, nobody any longer really remembers what the snippet
was supposed to do - then the version line will give a hint on which
ancient lilypond to use in order to see the snippet as the contributor
intended.
Automatically commenting out version lines - and automatically
complaining if the snippet asks for a wrong version - should be quite
simple.

-Rune

------------------------------
------------------------------

Rune Zedeler wrote:
> Valentin Villenave skrev:
>
>>     --> First rule of LSR is: do not add a \version line.
>>     --> Second rule of LSR is: do NOT add a \version line.
>
> What is the reason for this?
> The version line might be good information to have - at least in a
> comment. If a snippet stops behaving correctly, the original author of

> the snippet is gone, nobody any longer really remembers what the
> snippet was supposed to do - then the version line will give a hint on

> which ancient lilypond to use in order to see the snippet as the
> contributor intended.
> Automatically commenting out version lines - and automatically
> complaining if the snippet asks for a wrong version - should be quite
> simple.

I have some similar thoughts. I definitely think that the .ly code shown

when
you click on a snippet should include a \version line (even if it isn't
stored
internally in the database). This is crucial information for the end
user, who
maybe isn't always using the latest version (or has already updated to
an
unstable version) and doesn't realize why a snippet doesn't work as
expected. Also, it's not easy to find information the LSR web pages on
what version you are currently using. The only place I could find is
under
"Contributing", which is not a place where an end user is expected to
look.

However, Rune has also got a point that it would
be good to know at least about the last version where we are sure that
the
snippet worked as originally intended.