Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood LSR

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Your Friendly Neighborhood LSR
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:57:26 +0100

Graham Percival skrev:

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a
    % added in 2.8.6
comment to snippets, though.

Will the original version be available somewhere, or is it lost forever as soon as the convert-ly has been run? If the original is lost I do not see a need for a comment on when the snippet was introduced.

No code is "meant" to be old, but it happens. Trust me, I've been doing the docs for over three years. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in lilypond-years, that's a huge change.

That is true, and therefore I still think that the original version of snippets should be kept - so that it as possible to reconstruct how they originally looked. It is correct that in an ideal world snippets will keep looking the same. But experience shows that severe bugs - even bugs that are clearly visible in the manual - can be introduced into lilypond, and stay undiscovered for quite a lot of time. For instance still in latest stable the tabstaff will not use the lowermost string.
This bug almost screams that it is present:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.10/Documentation/user/lilypond/Tablatures-basic#Tablatures-basic
But still it survived quite a number of stable releases before it was noticed. So it is only in your dreams that you can even hope for all snippets at all times showing the right thing. When seeing a snippet that does something wrong it would be nice to know whether it is a bug in the snippet or a regression in lilypond. The easiest way would be to compare the output of the snippet with the output of snippet as it looked in the lilypond that it was made for.

-Rune