Re: Lilypond for serial music?

From: Andrea Valle
Subject: Re: Lilypond for serial music?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:18:38 +0100

(Still can't understand this list behaviour of replying to the author and not to the list...)

Hi Miguel,

I don't like lisp-like languages. I really prefer OO languages. More, I've always find difficult to understand lily internals (no figure, scheme stuff etc).
So, for my personal preference indeed,  I have used Python. There's also to say that Trevor B. has an incredible on going project integrating Python and Lilypond.
I started pressing him to release it under sourceforge but  evidently he is busy...:-)

For the last project I used SuperCollider, an audio prog language which has a Smalltalk-like syntax: this allowed me to integrate notation with audio analysis and synthesis.
If you want to integrate very complex audio stuff, use a very sophisticated language and then output to lily, I'll suggest SC.
More, I wrote some classes in SC which allowed me to import/export with Praat. So, I have all the audio analysis I need.

You may check this:
http://www.nabble.com/python-%3Elilypond-tf2401329.html#a6698740
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20070504.140614.ff7f1029.en.html

There are some people interested in stuff like this. We could share some infos on a wiki or something.

Best

-a-