Re: Printing music parts and scores

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Printing music parts and scores
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:10:57 -0500

Hi Jeremiah:

What have you used to print your music for parts and scores?

Years ago, I purchased a laser printer which would handle full-bleed, 11x17, heavy stock, 1200dpi printing. The only thing it didn't have that I want(ed) is a two-sided (duplexing) option -- it was too expensive at the time, so I settle(d) for manually flipping the page (s). Therefore, most of my printing -- e.g., for one-off performances -- I print myself.

Nowadays, you can get a fabulous 11x17(+), 1200(+)dpi, duplexing printer for less than $1000 -- I highly recommend this option, if you're doing any serious proofing or printing.

For bigger jobs, I simply package the PDF along with an instruction page, and email it to a "printer" (e.g., Kinko's). I've almost invariably been pleased with the results. For example, my last choral commission was from a choir in Greenville, North Carolina -- I simply emailed the file and instructions to the Kinko's (one block from the School of Music!), they made up 50 double-sided, centre-folded-and- stapled, octavo size (i.e., trimmed!) scores on heavy ivory (off- white) paper stock, and the commissioner simply went in and paid for the print run.

I live in a remote rural community.
I have searched the web for a music printer without success.

I'm sure your "local" (i.e., nearest) Kinko's or equivalent (Mr Speedy? PrintHouse? etc.) would be happy to courier the job to you (or whomever) upon completion.

Has anyone ventured beyond 8.5x11 inches or A4?

Definitely!

What have you done?

Everything from centre-fold-and-staple octavo size (choral) scores to leather-bound, signature-sewn, wide double-tabloid (i.e., 11hx17w per page, landscape) orchestral scores.

Can you refer me to a printer?

Not really... I mean, other than saying "look in your Yellow Pages, or search on the web". =)

"Fast-food" print shops (like Kinko's) will definitely be easier to find, quicker, and cheaper. But the output will never match a *real* (offset/litho) print run. If you're *serious* about the job, contact a *real* print house, get a plate made from the camera-ready PDF, and then have a large (e.g., 1000+ copies) run done -- it will be pricier (at least twice the Kinko's option), but will look *much* better.

Good luck!
Kieren.