Re: Instrumental Group Names in Score

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Instrumental Group Names in Score
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 21:31:05 +0100

2008/1/3, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

> No, no!  Don't split it up.  And you don't need explanations.  At
> laest, not for what I'm thinking.
>
> (NB: I haven't even glanced at whatever we're talking about)

Err... IIRC we're talking about maybe 5000 lines of code here. Nicolas
himself has splitted these into a lot of .ily files (common.ily,
titling.ily, etc). Not to mention that his framework is more or less
extensible (for instance, he added a bunch of very nice new functions
when typesetting textbooks, librettos etc.).

> Let's say that Nicolas has a file which he \includes.  This file
> sets up
> \instrumentName
> \tempoMark   (V: you just added this to LSR)
> \pageNumber
> \OldFrenchStyleOfAccidentalsOrSomething
> ... and also automatically sets up (in \layout) number for time
> signatures, increases the thickness of glissandi, and makes all
> fingerings two font-sizes larger than normal.

It is actually much more than a set of formating macros. It's a whole
new way to automatically and recursively include separate parts, text,
and everything. In other words, using it implies to dramatically
change the syntax of your files itself.

> Just dump the whole thing in LSR.  As the comment, say
> "This package provides these commands
> \instrumentName #'"NAME"
> \tempoMark #NUMBER #'"NAME"
>   for example, call \tempoMark #90 #'"Allegro"
> \pageNumber #NUMBER
> \OldFrench...
>
> It also automatically does blah blah.
> "
>
> (we probably want to discourage the automatic blah blah stuff)
>
> Now users just download the whole .ly file and include that in
> their own scores.  They never need to look at the details, and
> they never need to know exactly how \rightJustifyTitle works.  If
> they *want* to, they can easily look at the source... but don't
> delay this project by trying to write documentation for the
> internals of these packages.

Mmm... I'll still wait for a few days and see if the author has
anything to say on this topic :)
Plus, it would be great to add a few actual notes to demonstrate its
use (I'd be happy to use the 'real_music' tag just once more :)

Cheers,
Valentin