Re: Creating a book of music

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Creating a book of music
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 03:03:14 +0100

2008/1/7, Thomas Spuhler <address@hidden>:

> I am pretty new to Lilypond and wanted to experiment with this sample, but no
> success.

Hi Thomas,
here's a small how-to:

-Download the file I'm sending with this mail
(It's just the LSR file, you could have copy/pasted it as well)

-Create a new file, in the same folder, and name it whateveryouwant.ly

-In this new file, paste the following code (taken from the LSR):

\version "2.11.36"
\header {
   title = "The Title"
   composer = "The Composer"
   poet = "The Lyricist"
   date = "1740-1742"
   arrangement = "..."
   copyright = "Copyright line"
}
\paper {
   %% Translate the TOC title
   tocTitle = "TABLE OF CONTENTS"
}

\include "book-titling.ily" %% change this line accordingly to your filename.

  \bookTitle "Title for header"

%% set to #f to turn off piece numbering
  \useRehearsalNumbers ##t

%% Table of contents
  \pageBreak
  \markuplines \table-of-contents
%% 1st Chapter
  \chapter "Act I"
   \section "Scene 1"
   \titledPiece \markup Overtura
    \repeat unfold 12 { c'4 d' e' f' \break }
   \section "Scene 2"
   \piece \markup { Choir: \italic { bla bla bla } }
    \repeat unfold 12 { g'4 f' e' d' \break }
  \chapter "Act II"
   \section "Scene 1"
   \titledPiece \markup Overtura
    { c'4 d' e' f' g'1 }

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

-save this new file.

-compile it with LilyPond

-open the result with a PDF reader.

-now you can start changing the text elements, adding you own music,
staves etc (at the places where Nicolas has put some dummy "\repeat
unfold" notes.

> The style sheet also has a lot of strange characters. I think they are not
> correctly stored in the document:

Yes, they are :) It's an advanced susbstitution function, that detects
accented characters and makes sure that LilyPond will handle them
correctly (the code has been written to work even with foreign
languages).

Regards,
Valentin