Re: Automatic Piano Reduction with > 4 parts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Automatic Piano Reduction with > 4 parts
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:52:48 +0100

Unfortunately, the part combiner is very buggy in general and it's
also very limited in scope, for example since it only can handle
two voices.

Have you tried to simply let your three lines of music appear in the same Voice context? This is far from a perfect solution, but can still work surprisingly well in many situations:
\new Staff \new Voice << \sopI \sopII \alto >>

   /Mats

Quoting Benedict Singer <address@hidden>:

Hi all,

I'm working on a choral piece for SSATBB using 2.10, and would love to get an automatic piano reduction to go along with it. With 4 vocal parts this was no problem, but I'm not sure if it's possible in a clean way with 6. What I've been trying so far is essentially the following:

right hand:
\partcombine { << { \sop1 } // { \stemUp \sop2 } >> \alto }

left hand:
\partcombine { \tenor << { \stemDown \bass1 } // { \bass2 } >> }

This "works", in that it gets all 6 parts on two lines. However, things like: slurs, triplet brackets, etc are overlapping all over the place, since they're not combined between the two parts in the << { } \\ { } >> notation. Additionally, rests are not combined there when they can be, so if all 3 parts are tacet at that point, there are two rests in the piano line. Lilypond complains all over the place about stems and such overlapping too. I searched the LSR, but didn't find anything besides the current 4 part template. If the current approach is the only way, is there a way to do things like turn off the rests in one part when in the piano reduction, but not in the score, same with articulations, etc - besides tagging every single thing.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Ben