Re: different tempos

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: different tempos
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 06:34:49 -0500

Hi Kostia,

[first of all: is it the right way to reply via email? i've never used this kind of mailing lists but just ordinary insternet discussion boards. will our conversation (maybe including useful information for others) be visible on the archive on the lilypond- website?]

You need to "Reply All", in order to include the list on your response.
[I've reposted this response to the list, to make sure it comes up in the archive, etc.]

there are four instruments, each with his own staff. all four are playing just 8th notes in a different tempo. the very last note is played together, simultaneously. for the first instrument, this is the 8th note no. 513. for the first instrument, this is the 8th note no. 631. for the first instrument, this is the 8th note no. 483. and for the first instrument, this is the 8th note no. 379.

this is how i tried to do it:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\relative c'' { <<

\new Staff \with {
\remove "Time_signature_engraver"
\remove "Bar_engraver"

} {
\time 1/8
\cadenzaOn
\set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = #'(513 . 8)
\compressMusic #'(389 . 513) {
\repeat unfold 513 {b8\noBeam}

\new Staff \with {
\remove "Time_signature_engraver"
\remove "Bar_engraver"

} {
\time 1/8
\cadenzaOn
\set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = #'(631 . 8)
\compressMusic #'(389 . 631) {
\repeat unfold 631 {b8\noBeam}

\new RhythmicStaff \with {
\remove "Time_signature_engraver"
\remove "Bar_engraver"
} {
\time 1/8
\cadenzaOn
\set Staff.timeSignatureFraction = #'(483 . 8)
\compressMusic #'(389 . 483) {
\repeat unfold 483 {b8\noBeam}

\new RhythmicStaff \with {
\remove "Time_signature_engraver"
\remove "Bar_engraver"
} {
\time 1/8
\cadenzaOn
\repeat unfold 379 {b8\noBeam}

\version "2.10.33" % necessary for upgrading to future LilyPond versions.

I tried for a few minutes to solve your problem. However, it looks like Lilypond does not want to break in the middle of a note -- and since none of the intermediate notes ever line up exactly (379 and 631 are primes), I couldn't figure out a way to get Lilypond to engrave more than a single system.

Perhaps there are users out there with more experience with the timing_engraver who can help.

Sorry,
Kieren.