Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Feature request: attach notation elements to barlines
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:50:54 -0500

Hi Mats,

FWIW, if Lilypond had an \em multiplier (cf. \mm, \in, etc.)
then we'd easily get typographic distance control, yes?

No, it's not that simple. The horizontal spacing between notes
is far from proportional to the durational spacing (unless
you do all the settings needed to get proportional notation).

I believe you may have misinterpreted my comment... What I meant was, (e.g.)

    \hspace #1

is (only) settable in staff-line height(s), whereas

    \hspace #1\em

would, theoretically, leave the width of an "m" in the current fontsize, without the need to know that value ahead of time. I don't believe we have such an option at the moment.

This is what I *thought* -- and still *think* -- Trevor meant by "typographical distances". (Trevor?)
Even if it isn't, I think it would be a useful addition.

Best,
Kieren.