Re: Status of lilypond for jazz charts?

From: iain duncan
Subject: Re: Status of lilypond for jazz charts?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:25:22 -0800

On Tue, 2008-29-01 at 14:57 -0500, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Hi Iain,
>
> > I'm curious to hear what the status is of lilypond for making combo
> > or fake cheats.
>
> My last two major projects were both musicals, and they both required
> "jazz charts" (i.e., with chord names).
> I had no problem getting Lilypond to do what I needed/wanted.
>
> If you have specific questions, post them (+ code).

Thanks Kieren! Right now I am trying to change some chord symbols. It
would be nice I think in the long run to make a couple of new sets, as
neither the default nor the alternate match "standard" american fake
books. ( Yeah, I know there is no standard. But these are still pretty
unusual ).

My current issue is with the dominant chord having the 7 is superscript,
this is normally written in (most) american books with a large 7 to
distinguish that it is chord quality and not extension number.

I tried copying in the example from chord-name-exceptions but it doesn't
seem to be doing anything so I guess I don't know what I'm doing here.
If anyone can tell me or post examples that would be great. I'm also
specifically interested in getting a large size 0 with slash for
half-diminished ( m7b5) and a - for minor instead of m.

here is my code that does _not_ change any symbols!

\version "2.10.10"

% Jazz Chart template
\header {
    title = "Song Title"
}
\paper {
  #(define dump-extents #t)
  top-margin = 0\cm
  bottom-margin = 0\cm
  indent = 0\mm
  between-system-padding = 10\mm
}

% attempt to override the dom 7 chord
chExceptionMusic =  {
    <c e g bes>1-\markup { \super "7" "wahh" }
    }

% add to existing exceptions.
chExceptions = #(append
    (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExceptionMusic #t)
    ignatzekExceptions)

melody = \relative c' {
   \clef treble
   \key c \major
   \time 4/4

   f4 e8[ c] d4 g | a2 ~ a2 | f4 e8[ c] d4 g | a2 ~ a2 | \break
}

harmonies = \chordmode {
   c2:m f2:min7 c1:7 c2:m f2:min7 d1:   \break
}

\score {
   <<

  \new ChordNames {