Re: Arabic music half flat accidental shape

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Arabic music half flat accidental shape
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:11:01 +0100

On 8 Feb 2008, at 15:02, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2008 schrieb Hans Aberg:
half flat in Arabic music is displayed as a b but with a slash
across (It is
hard to describe the shape precisely). Is it possible to access such a
symbol, and if not, is it possible to add it in the future?

Is this what they use on
   http://www.maqamworld.com/

It seems to me that this is exactly the accidentals.flat.slash character in
Lilypond's feta font:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/The-Feta- font

[For some reason, the glyphs do not show in Safari - Firefox is fine, though.]

In this case, you don't have to draw the glyph yourself, just use this glyph
instead of accidentals.mirroredflat for a quarter-flat tone!

I think so, too, though the design of the half-flat at Maqam World is somewhat denser.

The Persian koron and sori are amiss, though there are some Turkish accidentals.

Timidity can retune MIDI-files (with the -Z option), which can be created using Scala, and also, I have written a Haskell program creating such retuning files for 53-ET, in case somebody wants to experiment with LilyPond MIDI files.

Looking back, LilyPond has some microtone capabilities, but I do not know how it works. Is there some info available about it somewhere?

  Hans Ã…berg