RE: index entries for snippets

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: RE: index entries for snippets
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:39:30 -0000

Graham Percival wrote on 08 February 2008 21:26

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 21:08:08 -0000
> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > @cindex natural sign, suppressing
> >
> > At present the only entry for naturals takes you to
> > a section on text markup commands.  Not helpful if
> > you're looking for a way to suppress extra naturals.
>
> Well, obviously we want a
> @cindex natural sign
>
> at the top of Accidentals.  (Ralph?)
>
> Assuming that we have that, do you still think we need a
> @cindex natural sign, suppressing
>
> for the snippets?  I mean, if "natural sign"
> points to the top of
> the page anyway, dos "natural sign, suppressing"
> really add anything?

Maybe not.  In this case the page is quite short, so
reading through it is not too onerous.  But without
the "suppressing" entry the user looking for how to
suppress naturals does not know whether or not it is
there - he has to read through the page on the
off-chance it may contain what he seeks.  With the
specific index entry he will -know- that what he is
looking for -is- on that page.  That's the difference
and that's why it is helpful to include it.