override Stem beamed-lengths

From: cl
Subject: override Stem beamed-lengths
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:01:14 -0700

I'm new here and new to lilypond, but I read the posts from a few years
ago about tweaking the stem lengths of beamed notes.  The posts deal
with earlier versions.

This code

\version "2.10.33"
\relative c' {
a8[ g]
\override Stem #'beamed-lengths = #'(20) a8[ g]
\revert Stem #'beamed-lengths
a8[ g]
}

gives me this warning

warning: can't find property type-check for `beamed-lengths' (backend-type?).  perhaps a typing error?

I believe I copied the override code correctly from the lilypond-user archive.
The beamed-lengths property is in the stem-interface, but not in Stem according to the documentation.
Help?
Eric