Re: file structure (hierarchy)

From: Werner
Subject: Re: file structure (hierarchy)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:19:54 +0000 (UTC)

Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:

> Section 3.1 in the LM recognises this problem and attempts
> to tackle it.  Like everything else in the manuals I'm sure
> this could be improved.  Suggestions welcome.

There could/should be mentioned, beside that a score must start with a
music expression and that it cannot contain more than one music expression
(which can be complex compound ({...} <<...>>)), what a music expression
is, at least that \set is one (and has to be put inside a complex mus.
expr.) and that \layout (which can follow that musical expression) is not.

There is a link to „Music expressions explained“, where there isn't
explained at all a \set (or ovverride) command!

It's also there (LM 3.1.2) where you find the following example:

     \relative c'' {
       c2 <<c e>>
       << { e f } { c <<b d>> } >>
     }

Shouldn't this be

     \relative c'' {
       c2 <c e>
       << { e f } { c <b d> } >>
     }

???

Just add one sentence and one \set command to one example.

Maybe something like:

% lilypond-version
\version "2.10.33"

% A4-paper, smaller top marge
\paper {
        #(set-paper-size "a4")
        top-margin = -0.5\cm
}
% nice height of staves
#(set-global-staff-size 21)
\score
% starts with and includes just one musical expression
        {
        \context Staff = bla
% at same time << ... >>
                <<
                \context Voice = blu {
                        \relative g' {
                        \time 2/2
                        f2 a | g1 | R1*4 | a4 g f2 |
% condensing longer parts of "tacet"
        \set Score.skipBars = ##t

% output settings
\layout {
  % no indent of first line (stave(s))
    indent = #0
  % no bar numbering
    \context { \Score \remove "Bar_number_engraver" }
}
% end of the score
}

In the LM is an example for this setting in 5.3 which unfortunately doesn't
show the whole code.

(The differences between \layout and especially \header in- or outside the
score-block already mentioned here, should be explained in the LM too, of
course.)