Re: fermata and text (markup) on/above one note

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: fermata and text (markup) on/above one note
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:24:20 -0600

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Trevor Bača wrote:

>     To understand why, you have to understand what the default setting
>     of DynamicLineSpanner #'Y-extent does, namely to calculate the actual
>     extent of the included dynamics indications. Then, once this has done,
>     the placement of the full DynamicLineSpanner is determined using the
>     padding and staff-padding properties, that specify the distance from
>     the upper edge of the full DynamicLineSpanner to the closest note
>     and/or
>     staff. When you instead specify a fixed value of Y-extent, LilyPond
>     won't care about the actual extent of the dynamics and align it as if
>     the top was at, say, 1 (if you set #'Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1))
>     relative to
>     the internal reference point of the DynamicLineSpanner. To
>     complete the
>     picture, every element included in the DynamicLineSpanner, such as a
>     Hairpin or DynamicText makes its own alignment relative to the
>     reference point of the DynamicLineSpanner.
>

> Excellent. Thank you so much for the  explanation. And I think what I
> was missing is the basic concept that turning Y-extent on is the point
> at which we cause Lily to ignore the actual, graphic dimensions (in
> the y direction) of various objects. Makes perfect sense.
Perhaps the main point is that you don't "turn on the Y-extent", rather
you turn
off the exact calculation of the Y-extent that's done by default.''

Good point. I suppose there's always some type of calculation done to determine the y extent of dynamics (and all other printing grobs, for that matter). By default the calculation is a, well, default calculation. The settings here say "use these hard-coded values I'm passing in instead."

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden