Re: shift accidental in chord

From: Damian leGassick
Subject: Re: shift accidental in chord
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:26:15 +0000

thanks mats

changing your markup to \markup {\flat  \natural } gives me what i want

now i just need to bring the two accidentals closer together

cheers

On 18 Feb 2008, at 17:06, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Damian,

Just to confirm... are you looking for

\version "2.11.38"
{ \set Staff.extraNatural = ##t beses' bes' }

i.e., to correct a previous accidental on the same note in the same bar?

If not, please give a good reason for having both accidentals but no "split stem", so we can better help you get Lilypond to do what you want.
My impression is that he wants something like
\version "2.10.0"
naturalplusflat = \markup { \natural \flat }
{
\once \override Accidental #'stencil =
    #ly:text-interface::print
 \once \override Accidental #'text = #naturalplusflat
\once \override Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #1.5
<b' bes'>
}

Since <b bes> gives you two note heads, it's not completely impossible for the musician to interpret this as a chord with a b natural and a b flat, but the natural could also be interpreted as just a cancellation of a previous accidental. One layout option that is less ambiguous is to have a split stem, which unfortunately
isn't supported in LilyPond today, even though
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-01/msg00208.html
gives something in that direction.

 /Mats