Re: about musicxml2ly

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: about musicxml2ly
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:47:45 +0100

Hello Haipeng,

Am Dienstag, 19. Februar 2008 schrieb hhpmusic:
>   By the way, how can I write metronome markings such as quarter = eighth =
> 120 or quarter = ca120 (sorry, my screen reader has poor function and this
> line must be put beneathe the next line)?

In lilypond, simply use the \tempo command:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Metronome-marks#Metronome-marks

That puts the quarter=120 above the staff. Is that where you need it?
Otherwise you'll have to fiddle around with the #'direction and #'side-axis
properties of MetronomeMark to move it left/right or below/above the staff.

If you need more advanced metronome marks (e.g. "Fast (quarter = 220-220)"),
you'll have to use a markup (which unfortunately has no effect on MIDI). See
the LSR snippet for a scheme function definition to simplify their
generation:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=234

>   My software has limited function to transcribe MusicXml file of large
> orchestral piece into braille, so I tried MusicXml2ly.

musicxml2ly does not yet convert any metronome marks.

It should should not be too hard to implement, though, if anyone is
interested: <metronome> is simply a direction subelement, see
http://musicxml.org/dtds/direction.html for the syntax, which can be
these)

> But it can't convert  percussion part and returns to command line without
> any result files.

Hmm, musicxml2ly has limited support for  percussion staves, but at least it
should produce some output... Which version of lilypond are you using? If
it's 2.10, then musicxml2ly has only really basic functionality, in 2.11 it
gained a lot of new features.

Is there any error message on the command line?
You can also send me the .xml file via private mail, so I can check the
problem myself.

> Does the lilypond developer team also handle musicxml2ly (not
> Xml2ly)?

Well, yes (if I count myself as part of the lilypond developer team...). I've
done most of the work on musicxml2ly recently (as said above, all that is
only in 2.11, but not in 2.10, because i started development long after 2.10
has been released).

Cheers,
Reinhold