Re: GDP: Repeats

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: Repeats
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:15:26 -0800

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 16:03:38 -0500
"Palmer, Ralph" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm currently working on rewriting Repeats in the Notation Reference,
> and I don't care for the existing structure. Currently, it looks like
> this:

I'm not wild about the current structure either, but I'm not
certain that your proposal is optimal.

- I want to have at least two subsubsections in each subsection.
I admit this is trickier with only 5 subsubsections, though.  :)

- 90% of the time, a user just wants to see
  \repeat volta 2 {}
or possibly
  \repeat volta 2 {}
  \alternative {
    {}
    {}
  }
so we should make this easy to find.

- 90% of our readers won't understand anything from the "repeat
syntax" section on its own.  As an amusing sidenote, struggling to
understand "Repeat syntax" (and failing :) is my only memory of
reading the lilypond docs for the first time, 7 years ago.

- In general, users indicated they wanted longer subsubsections
instead of many small subsubsections.

Recommendations:
- move the first example of 1.4.1.2 into 1.4.1.1.  A picture
will make 1.4.1.1 much easier to understand.

- consider removing the \alternative from that example, and
renaming 1.4.1.2 to "alternatives".

- ... sorry, nothing else springs immediately to mind, but clearly
more needs to be done.  Umm, I await further discussion?  :)

Cheers,
- Graham