Re: GDP: What term do you use?

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: GDP: What term do you use?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:48:40 +0100

On 17.02.2008 (11:41), Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2008/2/17, David Fedoruk <address@hidden>:
> > Octave transposition seems a confusing, since transposition in music
> > usually implies that the passage is to be played in a different key.
> > Octave displacement does not change the key.

Or one might turn the argument around and say that the melody is indeed
trans-posed -- placed somewhere else, whereas the negative associations of
dis- is that it's ended up in the wrong place...

In Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian, it would be "oktavering".

> Yes, I'd prefer to avoid "transposition" as well.
> In French, we say "octaviation" (notice the additional "i", it got me
> confused more than once).
> Cheers, Valentin
> list address@hidden

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.