Re: GDP: NR 1.1 comment

From: till
Subject: Re: GDP: NR 1.1 comment
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:10:23 -0800 (PST)

Mats Bengtsson-4 wrote:

> Right! GrandStaff contexts are often used in orchestral scores, for
> example, to
> group a number of staves together, such as the string parts. In
> LilyPond, the
> GrandStaff and PianoStaff contexts appear in the same way in the context
> hierarchy.
> We discussed more or less the same issue back in November, see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-12/msg00150.html
> _

Ok, I have come now to the following conclusion after checking back with
Gardner Read:

-PianoStaff should be used to write piano music. It is also easy to apply
the instrument name here, because the instrument_engraver is already
included.

-In most other cases the "bow-shaped brace" (Read) is used to indicate that
the systems
a) belong to one instrument (Harp, Organ is special here)
b) are really close related to each other like two first violins, trombones,
Horns etc on two systems.
According to b) the brace is used if the same instrument (but more than one
player) is used multiply.

But again: if the parts of the same instruments are quite autonomous, a
bracket is used instead.

For the a) and b) cases, the GrandStaff should be used, but in fact I think
it is dispensable because it doesn't have the instrument_engraver. Otherwise
I like the naming, because it would seem strange to use a PianoStaff to
notate trumpets. Can somebody recall if the PianoStaff was only introduced
because of the fixed spacing issue in 2.10?
I would propose either to

-insert the instrument_engraver per default in the GrandStaff or

-remove the PianoStaff and insert the instrument_engraver in the GrandStaff.

Is this possible?

Greetings
Till