Re: lilypond and mac under leopard -- the simple solution!

From: Ivo Bouwmans
Subject: Re: lilypond and mac under leopard -- the simple solution!
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:34:15 +0100

Hallo Simon,

i know this isn't very nice of me,

:-)

but i'm going to disagree with "simple" here. here are the reasons:
step 2:
forcing me to use ~/Documents/LilypondFiles for ALL my lilypond files is a no-go.

LilypondScript is meant for those who do not normally use the command line or write scripts themselves. They need a clear recipe. I received replies from Lilypond users who are glad they can *finally* use Lilypond on Leopard with it. I take it that you are not in the group I wrote the script for.
;-)

And of course: anyone is free to adapt the script to their needs by changing the directory or anything.

step 4:
open the script and edit it by hand in scripteditor? for every single different lilypond file i ever want to compile? no thank you.

Again: if you are comfortable with using the command line, there is probably no need to use LilypondScript.

btw, in leopard, preview automagically updates the view if the file changes, so you don't really need to close preview...

Good point - thanks!

otoh, in TeXShop (or JEdit, or whichever other editor you use which integrates nicely with lilypond), you can save the files whereever you want and compiling them is as simple as pressing a button or a key combination.

Well, I couldn't get JEdit to cooperate with Lilypond, but perhaps that's my fault.

please don't misunderstand me, i think your approach an interesting one, but the usability is a bit lacking.

You may be right, but I am glad several people found it usable enough to get Lilypond working at last.

Anyway: thanks for your comments!
--
Vriendelijke groeten,  =  Best wishes,  =  Afablajn salutojn,

Ivo

www.ivo.bouwmans.name