Re: lilypond-book with multi-dir projects

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lilypond-book with multi-dir projects
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:36:05 -0800

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 00:23:37 -0600
"Daniel Tonda" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/2/29, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> >
> > I wish we'd finished NR 1 ages ago, so that the AU would be in
> > better shape... oh well.
> >
> > Has anybody used lilypond-book for large (100+ pages) documents?
> > In particular, I'm having trouble with .lytex files in
> > subdirectories.
> >
> > thesis.tex
> > exercises/exercises.lytex
> > => exercises/exercises.tex
>
> All the time...
> What may be useful is the -O option for lilypond-book. eg:
>
> lilypond-book --pdf -o OUT Master.tex
> will leave all the lily*.pdf and semi-compiled output in the OUT
> directory, then you can cd to the OUT directory and do:
>
> pdflatex Master.tex

... after copying that file into the OUT directory, and the .cls
file, and the .bib files, the other .tex files, etc etc.

I suppose that's an option, although it isn't ideal.

> You can also use a makefile and put all the ly and tex/latex files in
> a directory like src, and using a Makefile like thus:

The big problem is that I don't want everything in one directory.
I want to have each chapter in its own directory (with their own
.bib, figures, gnuplot data, etc), and the main items (like .cls
and .bst) in the root dir.

I could certainly add a "copy" rule to my makefile, which just
copies all my data into an out/ dir and compiles from there.
Although if I do that, I might get latex compiling everything all
the time, regardless of whether it actually needs to regenerate
the files.

Cheers,
- Graham