The LilyPond Report: a new weekly opinion column about Lily's world

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: The LilyPond Report: a new weekly opinion column about Lily's world
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 23:35:04 +0100

Hi everybody,

As you may already know, I am fond of starting little useless projects
to promote LilyPond (perhaps you remember about some of them).

Here's my last one (i don't know if I'll be able to maintain it, but
it's just fun to launch it anyway): a "short informal, weekly opinion
column about the LilyPond project; its team, its world, its community.
It is not meant to be an exhaustive documentation resource. Reader
comments are, of course, welcome."

Its sole purpose is to be pleasant to read, entertaining -- and to
make LilyPond look sexy. It's primarily intended for newbies, but I
hope that anyone in the LilyPond community can be interested in
reading it.

I have named it "the LilyPond Report", but if anyone comes up with a
better suggestion I won't object. I have put it on my personal website
but it's not meant to be some self-advertising; if some of you guys
(newbies, users, contributors etc) want to propose subjects, articles,
ideas, stuff... host it anywhere else or even fork it, you are
welcome.

Here's the introduction of this week's issue, that presents some of
the topics dealt with. Follow the link below it to see all of the
sections I tried to propose.

In this week's issue, I used some quotes from public mails, but also a
couple of private ones. If any of the quoted persons wants his quote
to be removed, just ask.

%---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to this beta issue of the LilyPond Report!

This issue is marked as "beta", numbered as #0, so you can just
consider it as a proof of concept — which is why some of the sections
below are not "implemented" yet. Likewise, not every section will be
dealt with every week; I've just mentioned all of them here so you can
know what to expect to (besides, upcoming issues will not be meant to
be as long as today's).

This week, we are going to have a look at some great websites that
have inspired this Report, discuss the benefits of Free Software in
education, see the advantages of multiplied durations in LilyPond, and
briefly mention two "companion" projects of LilyPond: OrchestralLily
and Julie.

To be continued on http://valentin.villenave.info/spip.php?article51

Cheers,
Valentin