Re: Coloring ornaments

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Coloring ornaments
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:36:20 +0100

David Fedoruk wrote:
Hello:

I am trying to color ornaments based on which of the composer or
editors suggested them. Setting a variable for each color and
articulation seems like it should be almost the same as for a simple
NoteHead. Since the articulation is a property of the note, the
override should be a simple extension of the ones in the manual. So
far my best guess based on what I've found in the manual and the list
archives is this:

% articulation-type (string)
color = \override NoteHead.articulation-type "mordent" = #darkred
I cannot really imagine where you have read to come up with something
like this. The articulations are separate objects and not a property of the note head. The object type for articulations is Script. The easiest solution is therefore
\once \override Script #'color = #darkred c-\mordent

The solution using \tweak that have been proposed as a solution to your problem will also work, but is only needed if you have several articulations stacked on top of each other on the same note and you only want to influence the color of
one of them
c-\tweak #'color #darkred -\mordent  -\fermata

   /Mats