[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Vista problem
Re: Vista problem
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:53:13 -0500
Thank you Mats. Now to muddy the water more (or not)...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mats Bengtsson" <address@hidden>
To: "CDon" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:06 AM
Subject: Re: Vista problem
With regard to this issue, I tried the fix suggested by Thomas Kaiser, and
in my case it did not fix the problem. Changing 'fontconfig-1.dll' and
'fc-cache.exe' results in some other missing dependencies, and Lily
completely crashes. I abandoned this approach.
However, it's interesting that you say that it was faster
when you first installed LilyPond on Vista. Can you remember
what version it was?
Unfortunately, I can no longer reconstruct the sequence of events, but see
Perhaps, there is some connection to the problems on XP that
have just been reported, see
Yes indeed, perhaps... In the last post to that thread, Trevor Daniels
"An alternative is to build the cache, then delete
or rename etc/fonts/font.config. This causes
font-building to abort early with an error message,
which also bypasses the timing problem. This also
seems to have no adverse effect on a couple of
simple tests, but I don't use any unusual fonts."
Picking up on this, I did not rebuild anything but simply renamed
etc/fonts/font.config, thus eliminating it. Lily now runs just fine
(Whopeeee!) This does cause an error message at the start of the run:
"Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file"
but I see no other ill effects. Compile now takes 2-3 s as opposed to 35-45
s and correct output files are created. I too do not use any odd fonts, but
only the LP default fonts. At least in my case, this is a satisfactory work
around until the issue is resolved. Thank you Trevor!!!
If would be interesting if one of you could try version
2.11.34 or older and see if it's faster on Vista. These
older versions of the installation package are available at
I tried version 2.11.34, several of the later development versions, and
even the stable 2.10.33. None of these work properly nor show any
difference whatsoever. I note again that both .fontconfig and
.lilypond-fonts.cache-2 folders have at one time or another been present in
my User folder. Currently, neither of these folders are created by _any_
version of Lily. Perhaps this is the source of the problem. As best as I
can determine, all permissions are set properly for these folders and
associated files too be written. Somehow I still doubt that this a LP
problem, but is more likely a Vista problem. I say this since LP has worked
properly at one time on this machine.
I have Vista on a laptop, and I see the same sort of thing. A file takes
about 40 s to compile. Odd thing is that when LP was first installed, a
file would compile in about 5 s, about the same as on the XP desktop . At
some point, along the route of several upgrades, the problem developed. I
am not sure now with which version this occured (but I am not sure it
matters). Also there used to be two different font configuration files in
my user folder, I guess from different versions of LP. These are not
there, but at some point I deleted them trying to fix the problem. I
tried recent versions from the dev path, and even went back and got the
stable version. Compile is slow with them all. And none of the versions
will place a font configuration file in the user folder. I suspect the
source of the problem lies here. I don't think that I have changed any
permissions, but Vista will on occasion do this all by itself (Trying to
protect me from my own stupidity, I guess.) In any event, permissions
appear to be set properly in every place that I can think of. But who
what is hidden away...