Re: do these notes exist?

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: do these notes exist?
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:59:54 +0100

2008/3/24, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>:
> Hi Francisco (et al),
>  > This chord is exactly as common as the \key aeses \minor (14 flats)
>  > signature.
> Incorrect: the G-flat diminished 7th chord could easily appear in a
>  descending sequence (e.g., resolving to an F sixth chord).
>
>  I don't have an engraved example off the top of my head -- and I
>  certainly don't have the time or interest to find one for the list --
>  but I would be FLABBERGASTED if there aren't NUMEROUS examples of
>  this exact chord in published music written since 1850. In
>  particular, Romantic and post-Romantic solo piano music, and 20th
>  Century French pipe organ music, are likely gold-mines of G-flat
>  diminished 7th chords.
>
>  To claim that an F-double-flat is only as common as a 14-flat key
>  signature is simply untrue.

OK, OK, now here comes my thought: IF a diminished seventh chord has
its origin in a minor ninth dominant chord --common in minor keys--,
without its base (the dominant itself), THEN a feses is the minor
ninth of the dominant eses, whose corresponding tonic is aeses and
therefore our key is aeses minor.

Note the IF-THEN that gives aeses as result of a 'logical' or
'natural' explicit key signature where could happily live this note.

What a great OT!
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
http://www.paconet.org