Re: Building Lilypond for Leopard (calling Nicholas Sceaux)

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Re: Building Lilypond for Leopard (calling Nicholas Sceaux)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:18:15 +0200

On 10/04/2008, Ivo Bouwmans <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hallo Sven,
>

> > Answering my own question - putting the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in
> > .bash_login as well as in .profile solved the problem for me. W00t!!11
> > I have a fast Lilypond again. Joy!
> >

>  Do I get it right that you managed to compile LilyPond for Leopard on an
> Intel Mac?
>
>  Would it be possible to (a) put the binary on the LilyPond download page or
> (b) give a recipe of how to do it - for 'dummies' - so I can put it on the
> 'LilyPond on Leopard' web page?
>  (see <http://ivo.bouwmans.name/lilypondleopard>)
>
>  That would be great!

I can't really package the binaries - this build is only for the
command line stuff, and the files are left in place in the Lilypond
source folder, so I don't know what happens (and I don't want to try)
if you move them.

But I got the information from Nicholas Sceaux, here:
http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/
Scroll down a bit on the page to the section Building LilyPond from
Git sources on Mac OS 10.5 Intel

There are a few minor quips in Nicholas writeup. These are the changes I made:

1. The text put in ~/.profile should also be put in ~/.bash_login
2. the command chmod +755 ~/bin/lily-configure should be chmod 755
~/bin/lily-configure.

If you don't already have XCode and Macports these can be downloaded here:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/ (Big file: 1.1 Gb)
http://www.macports.org/install.php

Building the required dependencies with Macports will take some time,
maybe an hour.

Lilypond itself will fail when trying to build the documentation.
Ignore that for now. The lilypond executables will be in the bin
folder in the build directory, so add that to your path or link to the
files from somewhere convenient, like ~/bin.

That's it.

I'm thinking of making a Macports package for lilypond that will
install all dependencies automatically and take care of patching and
the other things needed. That shouldn't be too hard and I guess there
are some who'd be interested in that.

--
Sven Axelsson