Re: baffling error message

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: baffling error message
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:18:41 +0200

Since you use
\include "english.ly"
you should use the English version of the note names, not the default Dutch ones, right?
Try a "gs" instead of "gis".

   /Mats

Jonathan Kulp wrote:
I'm getting an error message that's driving me crazy:

GNU LilyPond 2.11.44
Processing `merengue.ly'
Parsing...
merengue.ly:239:24: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
        a,4-. g'-. a,-.
gis'-. \ostinatoTwo % m. 11-12
merengue.ly:285:17: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
        g4-. e-.
                 gis-. e-. | \ostinatoFour      |              % m. 11-12
merengue.ly:327:3: error: errors found, ignoring music expression

   << % creates new grand staff
error: failed files: "merengue.ly"

This is an orchestral score, and the problems are coming in the 2nd violin and cello parts. So, the \ostinatoTwo and \ostinatoFour are user-defined commands and they seem to work fine--I don't think they're causing the trouble. The problem is the G-sharp in each case, I think. Something is getting triggered by the "gis'-." on line 239 and lin 285. I tried removing the articulations, changing from "gis" to "fis," or "cis", removing the ' and , and it still chokes on this part. BUT when I changed the "gis" to a "g" (natural), the problem goes away. It finishes parsing and creates a nice .pdf for me. When I extract the troublesome bit and run it as a separate file, it works fine also, with the g-sharps instead of naturals. I'll attach the orchestral file and my extraction of the "trouble" spot if anyone wants to take a run at this. I'm baffled. (I need G-sharps!! :-)) The same problem occurs whether I run it on 2.10.33 or 2.11.44 (Linux in both cases). Thanks,

Jon

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering