Re: custom metronome-markup procedure causes weird goops-error

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: custom metronome-markup procedure causes weird goops-error
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:58:16 +0200

2008/4/25 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:

>  That's good, but there are two problems with it; one quite serious if
>  you value having MIDI output.

I don't, so I don't care :)

>  First, you haven't set tempoWholesPerMinute properly, unfortunately
>  (it's the same problem I was scratching my head about in the original
>  thread):  the combination of the note value and beats per minute needs
>  to be converted to a moment.

Yes. We need a string->moment function, as well as a better string->duration.

>  Second, unlike the helper function parse-simple-duration,
>  string->duration doesn't account for durations longer than a semibreve
>  since they can't be directly converted to a number.

Ideal answer: oh yes, that is definitely a limitation.
Pragmatic answer : hmm, do we really need \breve in metronome marks?

>  So, in conclusion, close but no cigar. ;)

Hey, now it's your turn! The main issue I've been working on was: how
to pass the text string as an argument to the metronomeMarkFormatter.
Currently, it's a bit dirty (and heavy) but at least it produces a
decent graphical output. I don't (yet) understand ly:make-duration and
ly:make-moment well enough to improve the MIDI result.

I have never been studying maths, programming or science (my studies
were about ancient literature), so I'm learning everything from
scratch here...

Cheers,
Valentin