Re: Lyrics-related \overrides in staff context

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyrics-related \overrides in staff context
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:56:24 +0200

Please always tell what LilyPond version you use, when sending questions to the mailing list.

LilyPond does not consider the lyric lines to belong to a staff, in any way, which might or might not coincide with your intuition. So, the formulation of your question is not really relevant. However, what you perhaps want to ask is if it's possible to make a setting so that it applies to all Lyrics context of the full score, for example. The answer can be found in the section called "Changing context default settings" in the Notation Reference (as it's called in the documentation for version 2.11) or User Manual (as it's called in the documentation
for version 2.10).

The solution is to add
\layout{
 \context{
   \Lyrics
   \override LyricText #'font-size = #-2
   \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( 0 . 0 )
at the top of your file.

  /Mats

coffer wrote:
Hi,

I´m wondering if there is a more elegant way to arrange all lyriclines
(stanzas) that belong to a staff than my solution is.

In my score there are 4 staves with 4 stanzas per staff in some cases. And I
want to set the space between the stanzas independently per staff.

This solution doesn´t work:

        \new Staff \with {
                \override Lyrics.VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( -1
. 0 )
        } {\Tenor }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextA }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextB }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextC }
        \new Lyrics \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextD }

So I have to put all overrides in every lyrics-line which is not so
convenient:

        \new Staff \with {
                \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( -1 . 0 )
        } {\Tenor }
                \new Lyrics \with {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-2
                        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( 0
. 0 )
        }               \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextA }
                \new Lyrics \with {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-2
                        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( 0
. 0 )
        }               \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextB }
                \new Lyrics \with {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-2
                        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( 0
. 0 )
        }               \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextC }
                \new Lyrics \with {
                        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-2
                        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'( 0
. 0 )
        }               \lyricsto StimmeEins \lyricmode { TextD }

Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance...

Chris.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing