Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:00:12 +0100

Bertalan Fodor wrote

This argument is like: "I have all the predefined commands I need for editing all my LilyPond files".

Not really.  Using a *single* editor with which
I am very familiar and which has macros, easily
editable highlighers for most languages automatically
selected by file extension, compilation invoked
by single function key (also easily editable),
console output automatically captured and displayed
in a separate window, find which produces a list of
search results, and for Lilypond, single function
keys defined to compile, show pdf and play midi, is
simply more efficient than having to switch to a
separate editor, however good.

The potential additional benefits don't (for me)
justify the inconvenience of using separate editors.
But they may for others, I accept.

Currently JEdit with LilyPondTool is the only editor for LilyPond that provides syntax checking and autocompletion of tweaks. I consider those such crucial features I can't image how other people can work without it. So it may worth learning to use another. That will be the last, I'm sure. Though I'm quite biased :-)

Does it have highlighters for texinfo, C++, html, css,
javascript, python, php, scheme too?  All of which I
use.

Trevor