Re: spacing problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: spacing problem
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:26:25 +0200 (CEST)

> > I can't see anything in this file which influences the minimum
> > value of a note's fixed-length part.  get_duration_space() is
> > obviously not what I'm looking for; it rather produces a default
> > value which can still be squeezed by a spring, right?
>
> You're looking for whatever goes into the 2nd argument of the Spring
> constructor.

Hmm.  In file note-spacing.cc, function Note_Spacing::get_spacing,
which is used in Spacing_Spanner::musical_column_spacing, I see this
code:

  Real distance = skys[LEFT].distance (skys[RIGHT]);
  Real min_dist = max (0.0, distance);
  Spring ret (max (0.0, ideal), min_dist);
  return ret;

It seems to me that `distance' can even become zero.  I can't say
whether this can cause problems due to lack of knowledge of the source
code.  On the other hand, musical_column_spacing contains this code in
case the above one isn't called:

  spring = Spring (max (base_note_space, options->increment_),
                   options->increment_);

This looks better, however it means that *all* notes, regardless of
its duration, have a minimum width of `spacing-increment' (which is
the Scheme parameter assotiated with `increment_'); the default value
is the width of a note head.  Can this be correct?  Isn't this too
small in tight situations?  Note heads might (almost) touch...

IMHO, this should be configurable.

    Werner