Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:55:40 +0100

Nicholas Wastell wrote Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:41 AM

The Lilypond lists have an air of exclusivity which is already very intimidating to newcomers. Overtly abrasive attitude and widespread use of jargon and abbreviations are rife. What's acceptable and amusing between experienced users and developers doesn't always belong on the surface.

The -user list has to accommodate users with a very wide range of skills. It is inevitable that some material will be beyond the understanding of early learners. Jargon and abbreviations have their place, and are necessary for clear and concise communication between the more skilled - learners can simply ignore such postings. However, I agree that an overly abrasive attitude is unwelcome; but I do not agree it is rife - this is one of the friendliest lists I know.

I no longer post my queries on here, rather I make do with the skills that I can get from my own research, or just fiddle things manually.

Well, we all learned this way initially. After a while more of the postings become understandable.

Frankly, posting a question here scares me, in case I've make a silly mistake or replies are flooded with obscure code.

This does concern me. As long as you have tried to solve the problem yourself, make it clear that you have searched the manuals and the archives and have failed to find an answer, then please do post your query. It will then be answered civilly, but maybe briefly - we're all busy and answering a question usually does not benefit the responder. Regard posting a query as a service to others - they may also have the same problem in the future and an answer in the archives will help them too.

Nicholas WASTELL

Trevor