Re: How to add double barlines to a gregorian chant?

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: How to add double barlines to a gregorian chant?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:24:52 -0700

On 2008/08/11 11:13 AM, "Dominic Neumann" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks Kurt! I already solved some problems, for example by using
> \finalis, \divisioMinima and so on.
> The main remaining problem is the bad positioning of notes and lyrics
> when two or more noteheads are nearly in one place. After these places
> is too much space until the next notehead is printed.
>
> Now I updated from 2.11.44 to 2.11.55 hoping that it helps. But the output of
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Ancient-notation.ht
> ml
> looks other than online. Online there are not those ugly spaces, but
> on my system there are. [It´s Windows XP Pro, LilyPond version
> 2.11.55]
> (see attachment for this).
>
> Any ideas?

It appears to have happened sometime between versions 2.11.51 (when the
online output was generated) and 2.11.55 (the most current development
version).  I'm getting similar results on Mac OS X (10.4), using the same
dev version.

This cycle of progress-regress is tiresome but to be expected since we're
working with a development version of the program.  Ancient notation -- and
Gregorian-type chant in particular -- has been neglected for quite some
time, so even the modest advances that I've seen since version 2.8 (or so)
are refreshing.

You may also consider downgrading to the current stable version, 2.10.33.  I
have attached an example of that version's output.  (Assuming that you *can*
downgrade: it works fine on my Macintosh, but I can't test on WinXP.  The
only computer available to me that runs Windows XP is my work computer, and
my employer (the State of California) penalizes inappropriate personal use
of State property.)

I'm sorry that I can't offer better help -- but I'm kind of stuck in the
same situation as you, hoping that LilyPond's output doesn't regress too
much.  Maybe some of the gurus on this list (who have more experience with
spacing issues) can help us out ...?

Kurtis

PS: There's always Grégoire (http://gregoire.tele.free.fr/) -- but it's even
older than LilyPond (even though it was purpose-built for producing
Gregorian chant).  It doesn't have a layout engine; you integrate the
results into your favorite word processor / DTP program.