Re: strange tempo 2

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: strange tempo 2
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:10:20 +0000

A few days ago I posted this:

Following Mats' suggestion I went to:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=204

..to find a solution for an odd tempo marking.  I succeeded in displaying the desired
result but ran into a snag.  The tempo I want to display occurs at a rehearsal mark.  The
tempo marking also uses a modified rehearsal mark.  Lily doesn't like that.
"Previous mark here" is what I get.

Then I tried voicifying to get the two "marks" to print.  I offset the tempo
marking by attaching it to a skip.  Then I changed the #'X-offset (down near the bottom
of the score block) to adjust the position of the tempo marking.

Is this a good way to go about this or is there something more informed?

-David

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.55"

rhythmMarkStaffReduce = #-4
rhythmMarkLabelFontSize = #-3

rhythmMark = #(define-music-function (parser location musicI label) (ly:music?
string? )

   #{
      \mark \markup {
        \line \vcenter {
          \score {                     % 1st column in line
            \new Staff \with {
              fontSize = #rhythmMarkStaffReduce
              \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep
rhythmMarkStaffReduce)
              \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #0
              \override VerticalAxisGroup #'Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)  % td
              \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(0 . 0) %RV
            }

            \relative { \stemUp $musicI }

            \layout {
              ragged-right= ##t
              indent = 0
              \context {
                \Staff
                \remove "Clef_engraver"
                \remove "Time_signature_engraver" }
            } % layout

          } % 1st Score end
          \hspace #-0.5                % 2nd column in line
% 3rd column in line
          \italic \fontsize #rhythmMarkStaffReduce "="
\combine % 4th column in line
            \italic \fontsize #rhythmMarkLabelFontSize $label
            \transparent \italic \fontsize #rhythmMarkLabelFontSize f
                % This fakes a uniform baseline (ie. create common anchor for
vcenter)
        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% END 5
        } % line end
      } % markup end
   #})

rhyMarkFiveEight = {
  % \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration =
#(ly:make-moment 1 4) % tight
  \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment
3 16) % even
  % \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration =
#(ly:make-moment 1 8) % loose
  { b'4 ~ b4. }
}

\score {
    \relative c' {
        \time 4/4
        c1
        \time 5/8
        \mark \default
        <<
        {
    s8
    \override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
    \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility = #all-invisible
%    \override Score.RehearsalMark #'padding = #-2
    \once \override Score.RehearsalMark #'X-offset = #-2  % td
    \rhythmMark \rhyMarkFiveEight #"53"
    s2
        }
        \\
        {
    \stemNeutral
    d4 e4.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I got some responses which led up to this from Neil Puttock:

2008/8/7 David Bobroff <address@hidden>:
> Does Rheinhold's work allow for the kind of thing I want; a quarter tied to
> a dotted quarter = <number>?

Yes, since tempoText can take any \markup commands.

So in your snippet, all you need to do is change your rhythmMark
function so that the \score markup is set to tempoText; setting it
automatically creates a metronome mark:

\set Score.tempoText = \markup { ... }

Then you can junk the polyphonic section with the skips and the
metronome mark will be aligned with the first note in the bar.

Regards,
Neil

This was all well and good until I found that I had two metronome markings occurring at the same time. Lily doesn't like that any more than two rehearsal mark appearing at the same time. The odd score I'm working on has two time signatures going on at the same time. One is in 1/4 and the other is in 5/8. I need to print both

4 = 53 and 4 ~ 4. = 53

...on separate staves. I'm thinking I'm back to my polyphonic solution above.

(Is the snippet repository off-line?  I can't get in now.)

-David